Types of Tile Flooring
Tile manufacturers have done their best to give homeowners as many options as possible. Below are the major types of tile flooring, as well as some of their characteristics, advantages and disadvantages:
- Porcelain Tile: Water resistant and can include different coatings. Some homeowners install porcelain tile that has been covered with a slip resistant finish.
- Terra Cotta Tile: Has a very natural and earth-toned look, but it should be sealed to resist staining and extend wear.
- Glazed Tile: Can be single or double fired. Single firing creates a sturdier tile. Gloss finishes are attractive but may scratch.
- Mosaic Tile: Tends to resist staining and are moisture resistant. Additionally, they won’t chip as easily as other types.
- Quarry Tile: Are typically installed outdoors where the temperatures are moderate to high and rarely reach freezing. They were created as a durable option for outdoor weather.